Author: René Zaumseil <firstname.lastname@example.org> State: Draft Type: Project Vote: Done Created: 5-Jun-2018 Post-History: Keywords: Tk Tcl-Version: 8.7 Tk-Branch: tip-510 Vote-Summary: Rejected 1/3/1 Votes-For: DKF Votes-Against: KBK, JN, FV Votes-Present: BG Vote-Comments: code not yet ready, needs porting to macOS; alternate might be to just co-distribute, just as TDBC is with Tcl
This TIP intends to add the following command to Tk:
rbc::graph, rbc::stripchart and rbc::barchart as graph
To get the original functionality a -style option will be added. This option can only be set on creation time.
rbc::vector as graph::vector
The vector is currently only used inside the graph widget. The namespace hidden version leaves room for a first class command with the same name.
rbc::winop snap as tk snap
Only the snap functionality is needed here. The busy command already exists as "tk busy" :)
tkp::canvas as path
The new path widget will contain the SVG like items and an additional window item to include other windows. Support functions will be placed in the ::path namespace.
Rbc is available on sourceforge and github, but the development is stalled.
BLT, the orignal source, is at sourceforge. The author G. Howlett makes sporadic changes. Then there are large times without activity. It is not possible to estimate when a new version will be ready.
The intent of Tkpath was to substitute the Tk canvas. This leads to problems with advanced features (matrix transformations). Therefore the new path widget will only contain SVG like items. The only exception is the window item. This item is necessary to embed other widgets.
- C-source code will be put in
rcb*.[ch]graph widget and vector command
- Tcl-source code will be put in
- Documentaion files will be put in
- Test files will be put in
The new files are added to the makefiles. The calls to the initialization functions are in tkWindow.c
The new widgets graph and path are implemented as oo::class. This will make it easy to extent the functionality. As an example see the file
.../library/graph.tcl in which the method binding of the graph widget is implemented.
See also discussion at the wiki.
A first voting was rejected, mostly because of the missing Mac implementation. See:
and with some analysis from Donal:
- Mac implementation of graph widget. May be borrow code from path
- Remove or change old code in
- Hardcoded usage of compiler and libraries in
unix/Makefile.in(search for "#RZ TODO").
- Add path files in Mac implementation. It works at least in Androwish.
- Which platforms should be used in path
- Provide demos
- Add more path tests
- Is it necessary to translate the documentation into man format?
- It is currently not possible to use unique abbreviations of slass method names p.e. "graph .g; .g conf" A workaround would be to add all those method names. May be this can be solved in tcl::oo directly?
Any help especially with the Mac implementation would be great!
And could please look someone with
configure foo at the Makefile's
A patch implementing these changes is available in the fossil repository in the tip-510 branch.
Test files are available in the .../tests/rbc/ directory.
Documentation is available in md-Format in the .../doc/ directory.
- Wait on new BLT.
- Develop widgets in extensions.
This document has been placed in the public domain.